Sense.Education is an AI-Based code analysis package to give students feedback on their code submissions and is supported in Codio in the Sense.Network assessment type.
Students can submit their work and will be able to view feedback from Sense and if One Attempt Only is not enabled can review their code and submit again.
To help and track students activity through sense, custom script can be enabled.
This assessment type is only visible when the sense.network api key is entered in the Organisation>Integrations area. See organisation admin roles for more on this.
Setting up an assessment is very simple. As you can see from the screenshot above, you should specify the following details
- Name (required) is a short name that describes the assessment. This name will appear in teacher dashboards, so naming it clearly is important so teachers can see precisely which challenges are successfully met (or not) by students. In many cases, you do not want to see this text appear within the challenge text the student sees. To suppress this text, flip the Show Name switch next to the name field.
- Instructions (optional) is the text that should be shown to the user, written in Markdown.
- Pre-exec command (optional) is where a check can be run to confirm any code is compiling as required. If you store the scripts in the
.guides/securefolder, they will run securely such that the student has no way of either viewing the script or viewing other files in that folder that might contain secure data.
- Pre-exec feedback (optional) field is used to show feedback if Pre-exec command fails, otherwise will show pre-exec output.
- Preview Type specified the expected input by the student. Codio offers plaintext and markdown options. Latex is also supported. Please refer to the Preview Type section below for details.
- Sense feedback Url (required) to extract assignment id
- Filename (optional) is the path to the file to pass. If empty, will send the currently opened file
- Gradable enable if the assignment is to be used within the grade total for the unit. If this is not enabled students can be given feedback on their submission for this assessment without it being graded. Please note Answer and Rationale will not return anything to the student if the assignment is not gradable. When enabled, each submission will override any previous submissions for grading purposes.
- One Attempt Only can be used to restrict the student to answering the question once. If not enabled, students will be able to edit their answer until the Unit is marked as Completed.
- The Points field is the number of points allocated for the question. You can choose any positive numeric value.
- Answer and Rationale is where guidance for the assessment can be entered where the assessment is Gradable. This is not required if the assignment is not gradable. This will be visible to the teacher when the project is opened using the Open as Teacher method. This guidance information can also be shown to students after they have submitted their answer and also if they reload the unit after marking it as completed. To enable this, flip the Show Answer and Rationale to Student switch below the guidance field.